I ran into some problems.
However, I found the solution at social.msdn.microsoft.com
This is the solution as posted by Erick
After watching the installer with Process Monitor, I’ve found a workaround:
- Run regedit.exe.
- For 64-bit Windows users, go to the following key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Full
- For 32-bit users, it should be here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Full
- You’ll need to change the permissions before you can edit anything. First, change the owner to Administrators, then assign the Administrators principal with Full Control.
- Finally, simply change the value for “Version” to “4.5.50709”.
After that, I was able to get the installer to complete and Visual Studio appears to run just fine.
Ugly but it works…