Last week I got a call from a friend that they needed a simple software written in Visual Basic 6. Since I am an MCP on VB6 I said “Why not”. As it turned out, other coders have tried to connect their VB6 solution to the Bewator BAPSI system and failed. But still, I decided to give it a try.
Saturday I used about 5 hours trying to make VB6 work in Win8. That was not a pretty sight and I did stuff to my Windows that will haunt me in my darkest dreams. But I ended up installing wmWare and Windows XP.
After some testing I ended up in the same conclusion as the previous coders, it just didn’t work.
Next day I wondered about the whole problem and decided to drop the Visual Basic solution and go on using an MFC sample that Bewator provided. I haven’t worked with MFC since 1998, but I took a dive into that dark world of MFC.
I read the code, tried to follow the flow and tested with several breakpoints here and there. After some hour reading the MFC code I could finally see the pattern. So I started making my changes.
Amazing still, it took me a while to figure it out. But I still got it 🙂
It feels good to be back on the programming-track again…
A well, that project is done.. now on to the next one…